POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Making objects into heightfields : Making objects into heightfields Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:27:09 EDT (-0400)
  Making objects into heightfields
From: Stephen Bell
Date: 28 Feb 2001 17:35:06
Message: <3a9d7d1a@news.povray.org>
Hello all.  I just wanted your feedback on something.  To my understanding,
you can't use objects like triangle meshes or bicubic patch models in CSG
differences or intersections (correct me if I'm wrong.. I know that in later
releases of the program there will be solid triangle meshes that will be
able to do this).  However, you can use heightfields (again... correct me).
Would it be possible to render an image of a complex object in a gradient z
of white and black, then convert the rendered image into a heightfield that
could be used any old way that you wanted?  In short, could you make a
reasonable representation of an already created object using a heightfield?
You could even use your old textures if you used your old image as an
image_map on the new heightfield (make the background color around the
object GIF transparent, then map it onto the heightfield).  You could make a
whole object by then moving the camera behind the black and white object and
making a second heightfield.  Of course it would be better if you used an
ortho perspective, as the camera perspective would throw off your finished
heightfield model.  I don't know if all of this makes sense, or if it would
even be useful to anyone, but the idea popped into my head and I was
wondering if it would actually work.  Basically it amounts to converting any
POV object (even CSG) into two images that would become a heightfield.  Just
curious.  Thanks.

--
Stephen Bell
http://students.oc.edu/stephen.bell